de Monbadon is one of the last witnesses of medieval military
architecture in Gironde. Indeed, it is at the start of the Hundred
Years War, on the 24th of April, 1330, that Edward III, King of
England gave « licence » to Indie de Monbadon to strengthen
this stronghold of Guyenne in order to watch over the Dordogne
and l’Isle valleys.
Since 1602, during the reign of Henri IV, King of France and
Navarre, the same family still owns the complete estate.
Numerous lords, the Barons of Monbadon, succeeded one another
on the estate in direct line or by marriage, of which the Count
of Lafaurie, Mayor of Bordeaux, Peer of France and President of
the Conseil Général, at the start of the 19th century.
|This estate is
under organic conversion phase since September 2009